The perfect bong or pipe can help you enjoy an incredibly smooth, clean, cool smoking experience. If you’re still itching to take your smokes to the next level, though, a high-quality ash catcher can work wonders. These inexpensive accessories deliver an extra level of filtration, boosting the ability of even the finest bong or pipe. As an added bonus, they help keep bongs and pipes cleaner, making them easier to maintain. We’re huge fans of ash catchers and started wondering which ones were the best of the best. You’re probably curious about that too, and you’ll be pleased to know we’ve done the research for you. After testing out a wide variety of ash catchers, we selected the Phoenix Ash Catcher by Grav Labs as our top pick. If you’re a newbie to this kind of accessory, you can’t go wrong by investing in the Phoenix.
Table Of Contents
- Our Choice: The Phoenix Ash Catcher
- Is The Phoenix Ash Catcher Fit for You?
- More Info
- A Cheaper Alternative: Standard Clear Glass Ash Catcher with Honeycomb Percolator
- A More Expensive Alternative: Standard Glass Ash Catcher
- Other Runner Ups
Our Choice: The Phoenix Ash Catcher
The first thing that excited us about this model is the fact that it comes from Grav Labs, which is widely regarded to be one of the most innovative and high-quality names on the market today. Although ash catchers aren’t too expensive, you’re not going to want to buy one again and again. Quality matters, and you can rest assured that when you buy the Phoenix, it will continue working perfectly for many years to come. As an added bonus, it is designed and produced in Austin, Texas, so you can feel good about supporting an American business.
Now on to the more technical stuff. The Phoenix Ash Catcher is conveniently available in 45-degree and 90-degree angles, allowing you to achieve the perfect configuration regardless of the device you’re going to use it with. This also ensures a more comfortable smoking experience, which is, of course, of the utmost importance. The way we see it, smoking should be relaxing and enjoyable. It’s the one time of day when all your cares should melt away. With this well-designed ash catcher, you’ll bring your smoking experience to a new and exciting level. Whether you opt for the 45-degree or 90-degree model, you will wonder why you didn’t invest in something like this a lot sooner. The best part is you can be sure that it’ll last for a long time to come.
The Phoenix Ash Catcher stands apart from the crowd in many compelling ways. We’re particularly enamored of its glass-on-glass lid, which fits in perfectly with virtually any bong or pipe. Sure, functionality is probably the top concern for most smokers, but who wants a catcher that ruins the aesthetic qualities of their smoking apparatus? Because this whole thing is completely clear, it blends it perfectly with just about any color scheme or design. Playing around with colorful ash catchers is fun too, of course, but we felt that the clear design of this model made it more appealing to a wider audience, which is another reason why it zoomed to the top of our list of today’s best ash catchers.
As any smoker can attest, nothing is worse than having some sort of “technical difficulty” while trying to enjoy a smoke. All too often, ash catchers are wobbly or just won’t fit properly. Every time you use one like that, you’re on pins and needles. The Phoenix Ash Catcher addresses this vexing problem with a truly elegant solution: a built-in “kick stand.” The little kick stand gives it the stability that most other models lack, so you will never feel nervous when using this ash catcher. Grav Labs is well-known for its innovative and thoughtful features, and this one really blows us away. It seems so obvious, but few ash catchers include it. Just another example of why we felt compelled to name this the best catcher out there today.
At $60, the Phoenix Ash Catcher isn’t exactly cheap. We feel the price is more than justified by its exceptional quality and first-rate craftsmanship. Like so many Grav Labs creations, it’s made out of the finest, strongest, most durable borosilicate glass. This handy little device isn’t going to chip, crack or shatter unless something is done to it deliberately, so you can breathe easy when buying it. After connecting it to your pipe or bong, you will be tickled pink by how much smoother, cooler and all-around more enjoyable your smoking sessions become. Like us, you won’t look back and will probably want to buy at least one more so you can easily keep your smoking pipes and bongs clean too.
Is the Phoenix Ash Catcher Fit for You?
If you’re somewhat new to the world of smoking, you may have never even encountered an ash catcher before. It’s easy to feel a little intimidated by the prospect of adding an accessory to an existing bong or pipe. Compared with many other ash catchers, this one is a little more complex. Therefore, it may be best suited for smokers with a little more experience under their belts. Who are we kidding, though. The learning curve here really isn’t that steep. If you’re going to invest your money in an ash catcher, why not go with the Rolls-Royce? That’s what you’ll be getting when you purchase this model, and you will be using it like a pro in no time flat.
More Info On The The Phoenix Ash Catcher
We’ve given you the technical details of this nifty little ash catcher, but you may still not be clear on why you should use it in the first place. First, think about your favorite bong or pipe. If you smoke fairly regularly, it probably starts getting grimy with dark tar buildup pretty quickly. As you undoubtedly know, cleaning that up can be a nightmare. Well, by using the Phoenix Ash Catcher, you’ll save yourself a ton of time and energy on cleaning your bong or pipe. Ash catchers capture the majority of the ash, resin and tar that typically build up in smoking devices. It’s far easier to clean an ash catcher than an entire pipe or bong, so this is a must-have for anyone who likes smoking.
- Made out of tough, resilient borosilicate glass for superior longevity
- Clear design allows it to match perfectly with just about any style bong or pipe
- Glass-on-glass lid ensures an aesthetically pleasing design that is sure to prompt lots of compliments
- Kick-stand feature adds extra stability — no need to handle your bong or pipe with kid gloves
- Available in 45-degree and 90-degree angles, so you can achieve the most comfortable smoking configuration possible
- Delivers optimal water filtration for an especially cool, smooth smoke
- Made by Grav Labs, one of the leading brands on the market today
- Designed and made in Austin, Texas
We really couldn’t find any major drawbacks with this model. The fact that it is somewhat “advanced” may pose a problem for some smokers. If you are a newbie, you may be left scratching your head for a little while. Luckily, after testing it out a few times, you should be able to get the hang of it and will never want to smoke without it again. Also, the price isn’t exactly cheap. In the scheme of things, though, it’s a worthwhile investment for people who want to upgrade their smoking devices. It’s really no different than buying upgrades for a car. The difference is you can swap this between compatible devices to get even more use out of it.
A Cheaper Alternative: Three Arm Percolator Ash Catcher by UPC
At just $45, the UPC three-arm perc ash catcher is indeed a steal. The price is even more incredible when you consider the amazing design of this catcher, which doubles the filtering power of any bong or pipe. The secret lies in its 3 arm percolator, which acts as a filtration system for the ash catcher and associated bong. The water passes through the disc before going through the regular water chamber. In doing so, it’s cooled, filtered and smoothed out even more. We have to say that for such a low price, this little device packs a major wallop. Even when used with more expensive smoking devices, the UPC 3 arm perc is one of the best ash catchers of 2017.
A More Expensive Alternative: Standard Glass Ash Catcher
In case you haven’t noticed, Grav Labs makes some of the finest smoking devices and accessories around. It should come as no surprise that its Standard Glass Ash Catcher appears several times on many of our best-of lists, and our list of ash catchers is no exception. This model will set you back by $60, which is a bit steep for what is, technically, just an add-on. However, the customizable nature of this device makes it even more valuable. First, you can choose from 14-mm and 19-mm versions. Next, you can choose between 45-degree and 90-degree angles. As for its filtering and cleaning power, well, it has a showerhead downstem. Need we say more? Regardless of the filtering power of your device, this catcher will boost it considerably.
Other Runner Ups
Anyone who is looking specifically for ash catchers will quickly see that there are tons of variations and options out there. We didn’t want to stop with just a handful because we found so many great models, so here are a few honorable mentions:
- Upline Ash Catcher by Grav Labs - 90 Degrees – No, you’re no having deja vu. This one appears above as our budget pick. We thought it was so nice it deserved to be mentioned twice! We just can’t get over how cheap it is. $99 is practically unheard of for something that enhances the filtering power of a bong or pipe so well. We almost named this one our top pick for its affordability alone.
- Showerhead Tree Perc Ash Catcher – One of the best ash catchers of 2017, this 14-mm model is stunning to behold. Yeah, we realize the appearance of an ash catcher isn’t all that important. If you own a rather plain bong or pipe and want to jazz up its appearance while enhancing its filtering power, though, you can’t go wrong with this one. Like some of the other best ash catchers on this list, this one also simplifies the process of maintaining your pipe or bong by capturing the vast majority of the ash, resin and tar. Just slip it out and clean it periodically to keep everything in tip-top shape. What could be easier? You will love the dreamy blue color of this ash catcher and will be thrilled by its $68 price tag too.
- 45 Degree Purr Ash Catcher – Don’t let the $72 price tag of this Purr ash catcher scare you away. If you're looking for the best ash catcher of 2017, you'll get an incredible bang for your buck when you invest in this clever little device. Its 45-degree angle ensures a comfortable smoke, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. What’s really great about this catcher is its diffuser filtration system. Indeed, water is pulled through many slits where it’s filtered and cooled to the nth degree. We have to say that this device dramatically improves the quality of the smoke regardless of which device you use it with. The green color of its percolator is a nice little touch. It is compatible with 18-mm joint fittings, so if you have any devices like that, this is the catcher for you.
There’s a lot of debate out there among smokers about whether the best ash catchers are worth it or not. After checking out the models on our list of today’s top ash catchers, though, you’re sure to agree that these are worthwhile investments for anyone who enjoys smoking. That’s true whether you smoke on rare occasions or light up regularly. The bottom line is that if you own a nice glass bong or pipe, you shouldn’t go without the best ash catcher. It’s the simplest way to enjoy an even better smoking experience, and it drastically reduces the amount of maintenance you have to perform on your pipe or bong. Check back regularly for updated lists of our favorite ash catchers in the future!